Thursday, June 16, 2011

Merriam and Ernest...and Jessi

I know I mentioned this last week, but I'm going to encourage you again to read and follow this blog!! : http://jaylienielson.blogspot.com/
If you're wondering "What the heck am I supposed to do about this, Jess? I don't even know this girl." let me just tell you. She loves reading messages that people send her and I think it would be really cool if, whoever you are out there, you sent her a message on this website for her to read : http://www.teamjaylie.org/
It doesn't matter if you know her or not. Some words of love and encouragement can really go a long way. It just breaks my heart to know that someone so young has to go through something that even some adults don't make it through.

"And he took their little children, one by one, and blessed them, and prayed unto the Father for them. And when he had done this he wept again" 3 Nephi 17:21-22

On another, less important note, I am bubbling over with joy. The first reason for this, I can't disclose. Not yet, anyway. It's a surprise and I don't want to ruin it...but I'm just so dang excited about it [:
The second reason is that this has been a wonderful week. I have the absolute best friends anyone could ever hope for and they all make me really happy. I don't know what I'd do without them.
Third, tomorrow is Friday. Need I say more?

Anyway, here is the end of something I've been working on. I have the beginning done but for some reason I decided to write the end before the middle. I posted the first couple sentences on facebook a few weeks ago when I was just starting and since then, it's been quite a development.

Empty. Lonely, forlorn, deserted, lost, vacant, abandoned, empty. Merriam looks up at the ceiling and sees nothing. She looks at the floor and sees nothing. She looks at the walls, the furniture, the rooms, the door. She looks at everything and sees nothing. ‘What have I done?’ She thinks. Where she once had only a tiny pebble, an enormous stone now lay. It grew and grew and grew until it sank to the bottom of her heart, and there it resides. It weighs her down with sadness and regret. She hasn’t seen anyone for days. She hasn’t spoken for days. She is disgusted by her reflection and by the sound of her own voice. ‘Ernest.’ A new tear dances down her cheek, like an ice skater gliding across a bed of frozen flowers. When her eyes close, his face appears and she flings them open again with a whimper. Broken. Nothing will ever fix him. Empty. Nothing will ever fix her.
“Merriam…” She hears her name whispered through the stagnant air. She opens her eyes. “Merriam.” the soft voice says again. The ugly word pierces the silence like a pin through a child’s skin. Merriam catches a sultry glint of light out of the corner of her eye. She turns her head and her eyes rest upon an object lying on the kitchen counter. She takes a sharp breath and her jaw tightens. “Merriam, I’ve missed your touch” the thing says to her. She flinches away in disgust. “What is that face for? We’re friends, remember? I can help you.” She blinks in bewilderment. Silence. “You can?” She croaks. “I can.” Says the voice. She reaches out her hand and wraps her fingers slowly around the handle of a very sinister looking carving knife.
She brings the knife to her lips and presses them against the cool metal. It sighs at her touch. The Sigh travels in through her mouth and wraps around her lungs and the base of her brain. She feels alive. So alive. Colors swirl past her vision; smells, feelings, sounds, all so vivid. She can see Ernest again, and he is beckoning to her. She can feel the tender brush of his fingertips against her skin and the hair rises on her arms. She stands in bewilderment for a moment before the knife moves, almost of its own accord, from her lips to her chest. She feels the tip of it pressing on her through her blouse. Fear and doubt start to creep into her mind but The Sigh chokes it out before it can take root. Hands on the knife. Knife on her chest.
Fingers on the handle of the cab.

No comments:

Post a Comment